Monday, August 25, 2008
Vegetable Burger – with chick peas and beans.
Here is a really different version of a vegetarian burger just to provide a different taste to the palate than the regular old potato burger with some veggies added to it.
Ingredients: (makes 4)
½ cup chick peas (chana)
½ cup beans (rajma)
2 tsp garlic (finely chopped)
2 green chilies (finely chopped)
1 table spoon red capsicum (finely chopped)
3-4 spring onions (chopped)
Soy sauce (3-4 dashes)
Chilly sauce (3-4 dashes)
Coriander leaves - 2 table spoons
2 tsps cumin powder
2 tsps coriander powder
Salt according to taste
Black Pepper – 1 tsp
2 tsps oil – to sauté the onions and capsicum
Bread crumbs – 3 table spoons and some bread crumbs for coating the burger patty.
Milk to coat the patties
Oil (for greasing the baking sheet)
Burger Buns (I used Cibatta bread) – 4
Shredded Lettuce leaves
Thinly sliced onions.
• Soak chick peas and rajma overnight. Drain the water and pressure cook the chana and rajma for around 15 mins so that the chick peas and rajma have softened but there is still a crunch left in them. We don’t want the chana and rajma to be completely mushy and soggy. Once pressure cooked, drain the water in a colander and keep aside
• In a pan, add 2 tsps of oil and let it heat a bit. Add the spring onions and capsicum to the pan and sauté them till the onion has a pink color. Add a bit of salt and pepper to the pan and mix all the ingredients well and keep aside.
• In a separate bowl add the chana and rajma and crush them well with the help of a potato crusher or you can simply mince them with your hands. Add the onion and capsicum mixture to the bowl. Add cumin, coriander powder and coriander leaves soy sauce, chilly sauce, salt and bread crumbs to the bowl.
• Bread crumbs could be made at home by grinding 3-4 pieces of bread slices in the grinder. You can also used store brought bread crumbs for this as well.
• Mix all the ingredients well. In case the mixture feels a bit wet add more bread crumbs to the mixture and mix well. Take some of the chana-rajma mixture and roll them between your palms and make round shape patties.
• Grease the baking tray or baking sheet with oil. Dip the patty in milk and then coat them in bread crumbs and place them on the baking sheet. Repeat the steps above to make the patties. Once done refrigerate the patties for 30 mins.
• Preheat the oven to 350 degree F or 280 degree C. Remove the patties and bake them in the oven for 20 – 25 mins till we get a golden brown color and the patties are crisp.
• Slit the burger buns and place the patty in between. Add lettuce, and onions and tomato ketchup to it and Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
Chilly sauce or mustard sauce could also be used instead of tomato ketchup depending upon your tastes and preferences.
I would like to send this to Hima of SnackORama for her event called Sunday Snacks with the theme Bake it.
I would like to send this to Divya of Dil Se for her event Diet Foods.