Thursday, September 11, 2008
A stew is a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in water or other water-based liquid, typically by simmering, and that are then served without being drained. Sprouts stew is a healthy dish which has a lot of flavor to it and can be eaten with rice, roti or bread. I have taken a little help from the store in this as the sprouts were brought from the store but never the less they can be prepared at home. This dish is very simple and easy to make and pumps up the protein in your diet and is a welcoming change to the regular dal that we eat on an everyday basis.
1 cup store bought sprouts (Mixed Sprouts)
1 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
2 medium sized tomatoes (finely chopped)
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp chilly powder
1 tsp jeera
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp chilly powder
2 -3 cups Vegetable stock or water.
Salt to taste
1 table spoon olive oil
Making the sprouts:
Soak the mix of dals overnight with lots of water.Next day morning, drain all the water, cover the dal with lid and keep them in warm place.
In 1 ½ to 2 days, the sprouts will be ready. Keep them in the refrigerator and use as required.
• Heat olive oil in a heavy bottom vessel and add jeera to it. Now add the chopped onions to the vessel and stir it. Add cumin powder to the onions and let it sauté for 3- 4 mins till the onions are translucent in color.
• Add the chopped tomatoes to vessel and mix with the onions. Add salt as it helps release the moisture from the tomatoes. Sauté for another 5 mins.
• Add turmeric and chilly powder along with the sprouts and mix all the ingredients well. Let the sprouts simmer with the onions and tomatoes on a medium to low flame.
• Add vegetable stock or water to the sprouts and mix well. Vegetable stock adds more flavor to the stew, but if you don’t have stock you can add water as well. Add more water / vegetable stock if you want your stew to be a bit thinner in consistency.
• Bring the sprout mix to a boil and simmer and allow the stew to cook for 10 – 15 mins on a medium flame till the sprouts are cooked.
• Adjust the seasoning of the stew and serve hot.
I am sending this recipe as an entry for the event My Legume Love Affair hosted by Nourish me and The Well Seasoned Cook.