Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Remember the trips to Lonavala to enjoy the beautiful nature and eat the all so famous chikki from the various stores all across Lonavala. I am sure you have water in your mouth while reading this blog and relishing the taste of the sweet chikki. Worries no more as I share this delightful recipe of homemade peanut chikki with you and you can enjoy the trips to Lonavala sitting right at your home.
3 cups sugar
2 cups crushed/ whole unsalted peanuts
A pinch of salt
Oil to grease the baking sheet
• In a pan take the sugar and heat it on a medium flame till all the sugar caramelizes.
• Once the sugar turns brown and had caramelized add the peanuts to the pan. Add a pinch of salt and mix the sugar, salt and the peanuts well till the peanuts are coated with the caramelized sugar.
• Now quickly transfer the sugar and the peanut mixture on to the greased baking sheet and spread it with the help of a spatula.
• Let it rest for 10 mins. Take care not to touch the peanut sugar mix while it is hot as it may burn your fingers.
• Adding salt to the peanut sugar mixture enhances the sweetness in the chikki.
• Once the chikki is cooled break the chikki into smaller bite size pieces and store in an air tight container.
• Voila!!!!!! enjoy
The same process can be used to make badam or kaju or mixed dry fruit chikki as well.