One of the quickest and the easiest recipes which I love to make is matter wale pulav or pea’s pulav. This recipe is so simple to make and it gets ready in around 20 mins.
1 cup basmati rice or any long grain rice
½ cup peas (green matar)
1 medium onion thinly sliced
1 tsp jeera
2 tomatoes finely chopped.
1 tsp chilly powder
1 tsp turmeric (optional)
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
1 table spoon cooking oil
2 cups of water or vegetable stock.
• Take a pan and add oil to it. Add bay leaf and jeera to the pan, once it sizzles add the sliced onions and sauté till the onion gets a light brown color.
• Add chopped tomatoes, salt, chilly powder, turmeric and peas to the pan and sauté for another 2 mins.
• Now add the rice to the pan and mix all the ingredients well. Add water or vegetable stock to the pan and mix well. Adding vegetable stock helps in adding flavor to the pulav.
• Simmer the gas to medium-low and put a lid on to the pan. Let it cook for 15 -20 mins or till the time the pulav is cooked.
• Serve hot with acchar or curd.
Tip: You can also add vegetables like carrot, cauliflower or edamame to make a vegetable pulav.